Saturday, April 3, 2010

Good at German

Morebrook Junior High is located in a clean, attractive suburb of Vancouver. It appears to be much like every other junior high I’ve ever set foot inside. Well, actually, I’ve only set foot inside one other junior high – mine: Sherwood Junior High in Sherwood, BC – but this one was actually much, much nicer.

For some reason, Samuel was fluent in German and brought home straight A’s from his German language class. I interviewed his teacher, a Ms. Niewicki, who suspected he was already fluent in the language, yet when she asked Sam if this was the case, he denied it. The teacher suggested to me that, perhaps, it was knowledge from a past life. I gazed soberly into the woman’s bloodshot eyes.

“Is it not possible that Samuel isn’t really 15 years old but much older, and that he studied German somewhere else before taking your class?”

After considering it a moment, the German teacher shrugged.

“Maybe. Do you really think he isn’t 15? You know, I had my suspicions but I try to ignore my gut feelings as much as possible.”

I found it strange that someone who purported to believe in past lives would try to ignore their intuitions, and I pointed this out to her. She claimed not to know what I was talking about. There's an awful lot of that going around, it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.