Saturday, April 3, 2010

Brilliant Samuel

I asked him what he usually did after school. He replied he would either come home and play Xbox games, do homework in his room or skateboard at the park with his friends. I couldn’t find any of these ‘friends’, however, or none who would admit to hanging around with Samuel. Mandy believed he had lots of friends and didn’t believe it when I told her many had spoken ill of him.

“They’re just jealous,” she insisted. “They don’t know how to deal with a gifted child, so they shut him out. I’ve seen it before. I was a gifted child myself. Children can be very cruel.”

When I pointed out Samuel’s poor marks, she added, “It’s common for gifted children to get poor grades in school. The system doesn’t know how to challenge them, so the child stops trying. You have no idea of Samuel’s brilliance.”

And exactly what was it that Samuel was brilliant at? I was determined to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.